There are many ways to say “thank you”.
In life we often want to thank a colleague who has given us a hand, a relative or a friend for their presence at a difficult time, or maybe a person we don’t know very well, but who has helped us with an important task or situation. Depending on the context we look for different thank-you phrases that do justice to the person we want to pay tribute to, depending on their role in our lives. To help you on your hunt for the best thank-you phrases, we have researched and selected the most inspiring ones. There are many ways to thank people: you can do it in a simple and direct way, in a more formal way or by pouring your heart out.
When we thank someone, we show that their presence or their contribution was important to us. An in-person thank you is always most recommended. Shake hands if they’re an acquaintance or hug if they’re a friend, relative or trusted colleague; it’s a classic way to say thanks to someone. But there are many moments when, for many reasons, we cannot thank someone in person, and must resort to text messages, emails, or letters sent by post with handwritten or printed thank-you phrases. Let’s look at the best thank-you phrases for various occasions.
Formal thank-you phrases: to thank people you don’t know well
Let’s begin with the more formal thank-you phrases. These are phrases that can be used as a way to thank anyone, and don’t risk being either too personal or too cold. They are rather brief phrases that simply express the concept of saying “thanks” to someone. A generic thank you or one referring to a specific favour or the support of someone at a specific moment. If you’re not that close to the person you want to thank but you still want to show them your appreciation, you can choose from these thank-you phrases for every occasion.
Choose the thank-you phrases that win you over. You can make them more detailed depending on the specific reason you are thanking the person you’re addressing.
Here are some examples:
Allow me to express my most sincere and complete gratitude.
A genuine and heartfelt thanks.
Please accept my genuine gratitude.
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you.
Thank you for your kindness.
I can never thank you enough.
Luckily there are still people like you: thank you.
I am grateful for your kindness.
I would have never expected your support, thank you.
A sincere thanks for your important help at this time.
Thank you, truly, for being there when I needed you.
Brief thank-you phrases, for those we already know
If you want to thank someone you already know in a genuine way, without waffling, you can choose from the brief thank-you phrases we have gathered below. They are extremely simple and direct phrases for people you already know, whom you trust and don’t need to be particularly formal with. If you want to just thank them genuinely without fancy words, these are the phrases for you.
Let’s look at them together:
Thank you so much!
I really appreciate it.
I am truly grateful.
Thank you for doing that.
Thank you very much, I owe you.
Thank you for being there.
Thanks for everything.
A genuine thank you for everything.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
A genuine and heartfelt thank you for what you have done for me.
Professional thank-you phrases: thanking work colleagues
Thanking work colleagues is a task that requires special attention. The important thing is to show genuine appreciation, but not as you would with family or relatives. You need to find the right balance between being formal and being genuine. It’s not easy, but not impossible either. Here is our selection of thank-you phrases suitable for work colleagues.
My genuine thanks for your personal and professional support, greatly appreciated.
I want to thank you on behalf of me and the entire company for your invaluable support.
Thank you very much for your valuable assistance in solving our problem.
We will always remember your generous support with gratitude.
Thank you. I hope that our work meetings will continue with such great friendship and cooperation.
Wishing you a successful career. Thank you for your professionalism.
May your behaviour be an example of integrity and professionalism for everyone. Thank you.
Needless to say, without your input I would never have achieved my goal so efficiently and effectively.
Not even a friend would have acted as you did, thank you very much.
These impressive results are thanks to you, and all my colleagues.
Thank-you phrases for friends: to say thanks to true friends
When we thank our friends, we’re able to be more personal, up front and spontaneous. Thank-you phrases for our friends are livelier phrases, free of formalities. We show our heartfelt appreciation without filters. We can also be playful and ironic without any issues. They are sure to be appreciated because they are genuine.
Let’s look at them together:
- You can tell a true friend from their attention to small things, thank you very much.
- Your friendship is a priceless treasure. Thanks for everything.
- It’s the small things that bring people closer. Thank you.
- You were thoughtful towards me. I don’t know how to thank you.
- I owe my success to you, thank you.
- Your help was crucial. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
- I can’t ever thank you enough.
- I’ll never be able to thank you enough.
- I can’t help but feel eternally grateful for your gesture.
- People like you are a rare find nowadays. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
- I never expected you to be so close to me. Thank you very much.
- Thanking you where it’s due. I really appreciate your gesture. You were so kind.
- It’s good to know that people who act like you did still exist. Thank you.
- Thank you. Your gestures are always the most beautiful and genuine and are never late to arrive.
- Your smile and your actions are worth more than a thousand words. Thank you very much.
- You smile is a daily thank you.
- Thank you for teaching me what mattered.
- Thank you for always being there, no matter how far apart.
- Thank you for your silence and thank you for your understanding.
- Thank you so much for the advice you have given me, you’re awesome.
- We can never forget how much you did for us, selflessly and carefree.
- Thank you so much for the welcome you gave us!
Thank-you phrases for birthdays: responding to your birthday wishes with a special thank you
Do we need to thank someone that has wished us a happy birthday? It happens once a year and if the birthday wishes are funny, witty or heartfelt, maybe it’s best to reciprocate! With this in mind, we’ve chosen various thank-you phrases to respond to whoever decides to dedicate some time to you on your birthday. At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if Facebook reminded them! What matters is that whoever wished you a happy birthday thought of you and genuinely wanted to. This gesture should be rewarded!
- Your birthday wishes mean a lot to me, and I will never forget your words.
Thank you for making me feel so special and loved.
- Your birthday wishes gave me a moment of happiness on such a special day! Hugs and kisses.
- Thanks for the birthday wishes. Thank you for always staying beside me, accepting me and my many qualities (gosh I’m so humble!) and my infinite flaws. Love you.
- Today was a special moment in my life, and you guys, my friends, have made it even better with your birthday wishes. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
- Gratitude is expressed in few words, especially when it’s sincere.
Thanks again for the birthday wishes. I am touched.
- I can’t tell you my age, it changes all the time.
Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes!
- Sometimes a single phrase carries a lot of meaning. Thank you!
- My birthday was truly magical thanks to the lovely messages and wishes that you all sent me. I would like to thank each and every one of you.
- Your friendship is a special gift, generously given, happily accepted, and deeply appreciated!
Thanks for the birthday wishes.
- I hope to see you soon to thank you in person, after the birthday wishes you sent me! Hugs and kisses!
- So nice to receive your birthday wishes! They were unexpected and special for that very reason. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
Thank-you phrases: print them for a “thank you” that lasts
Why limit yourself to thanking someone with a simple text message?
If you want to dedicate a special “thank you” to someone important, why not print your thank-you phrases for a “wow” effect? Think about it, you forget a WhatsApp message as soon as you’ve read it. A message written on a letter or card looks good and can be kept. A message printed on a nice postcard or even a photo album or a personalised object brings your thank-you phrases to life and reminds that person of your appreciation every day. Not bad, right?
It’s something that many underestimate in this internet age. But a phrase printed on a gift item placed in the right spot at home, in the car or at work, not only looks good, but also gives great emphasis to your thank-you phrases. Here’s are some of the products you can print your phrases on:
Test it out with our configurator tool, it only takes a second! Insert your phrase, choose the colour and the object and check the preview. If you like the result you can quickly order your object decorated with the thank-you phrase. Job done!